How to Keep Your Pipes From Freezing
How to Prevent Your Pipes from Freezing
Frozen pipes are the leading cause of water damage in the colder months of the year! This is because water expands as it freezes, putting huge amounts of pressure on whatever holds that water.
According to The American Red Cross, "Pipes that freeze most frequently are those that are exposed to severe cold, like outdoor hose bibs, swimming pool supply lines, water sprinkler lines, and water supply pipes in unheated interior areas like basements and crawl spaces, attics, garages, or kitchen cabinets." http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm/preventing-thawing-frozen-pipes
Here are some easy ways to prevent your pipes from freezing:
1. Drain water from swimming pools & supply lines
2. Install pipe sleeves or other insulating materials (even newspaper)
3. Keep your garage closed to protect supply lines
4. If you need to leave for an extended period of time, keep your heater set to no lower than 55 degrees & shut your main water supply off
5. Open cabinet doors near sink to let warm air circulate
6. Insulate outside walls and unheated areas of the home.
Call SERVPRO of Yavapai County to resolve your water damages. 928-636-7600