Keep Mold and Its Odor at Bay
When you step into your home, you want to have a pleasant and inviting aroma. If you have mold or mildew, you will likely be greeted with a musty odor that seems to linger. Behind that odor is a fungi that may potentially contain a mycotoxin. At the first whiff, it'fais imperative to find the source.
The Unique Nature of Mold
Mold is the visible sign of a larger problem: too much moisture. Your home in Cottonwood, AZ has a plethora of places prone to wetness. When Mother Nature adds in some flooding or a pipe bursts, it creates a welcoming environment for fungi, including those with a known mycotoxin, to flourish. Areas to check for mold-growing environments include:
- Laundry rooms
When it comes to mold remediation, the keys are ensuring everything is clean and dry. If you have experienced extensive water damage, you will likely want to contact a professional to assess the situation and provide the expertise for complete removal. If you only have a small area of mold growth and know the source of the water, the process is relatively easy.
After the area has thoroughly dried, typically within 48 hours, use a disinfectant designed to kill mold to clean the affected area. Depending on the damage, drywall, tiles or other materials may need to be removed.
Once the mold is eradicated, there may continue to be a lingering odor. HEPA and carbon air filter systems can help purify the air and eliminate odors. These are also good to have around to keep the air in your properly circulating, which can deter overall mold growth. It is important to check the filtration system to see if it is designed for mycotoxin capture.
While mold and its smell are annoying, you don’t have to live with it. Staying on top of leaks and keeping your home well-ventilated can help eliminate them both.